Last updated: 27th June 2018
String respects your right to privacy. This Privacy Notice explains who we are, how we collect, share and use personal information about you, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. This Privacy Notice applies to personal information that we collect through our services (including our website).
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Privacy Notice.
When you use our services, we and other organisations may collect some information about you and the devices that you use to access them. You may choose to share your information with us (for example, where you contact us by email to ask a question about our services) and some information is collected automatically using cookies. You can find out more information about the cookies which we use in our
If you do provide us with information, it is important that you inform us of any changes so that we can keep the information which we hold about you up-to-date and ensure it remains accurate. We will co-operate with authorities as required by disclosing any details which we hold to them (which may include your identity, contact details, and information about any devices used to access our services).
We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, if you only want to access a particular section of this Privacy Notice, then you can click on the relevant link below to jump to that section.
What does String do?
String is an Innovation & Technology Group, headquartered in the United Kingdom. We operate across many fields including computer vision, cloud, machine learning, data science, cross-platform consumer applications and enterprise applications.
For more information about String, please see http://string.co/.
What personal information does String collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Information that you provide voluntarily
We may ask you to provide personal information voluntarily: for example, to provide your contact details in order to register an account with us, to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and/or to submit enquiries to us. The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide it.
Information that we collect automatically
When you use our services, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
The information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location), and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our service, including webpages accessed and links clicked. Collecting this information enables us to better understand the users of our services, where they come from, and what content is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our services.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained below.
Information that we obtain from third party sources
We may receive personal information about you from third party sources, but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
The types of information we collect from third parties include statistics and usage patterns and we use the information we receive from these third parties to maintain and improve the accuracy of the records we hold about you and the services we provide to you.
In general, we will use the personal information we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your personal information. However, we may also use your personal information for other purposes that are not incompatible with the purposes we have disclosed to you if this is permitted by applicable data protection laws.
If you provide us with information about someone else, please ensure you have the person’s permission to do so for the purposes detailed in this Privacy Notice. By providing personal data relating to another person, you confirm that you have their consent to do so, or are entitled to consent to the processing on their behalf (for example for children where you have parental responsibility).
Who does String share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our group companies, and third party services providers who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our services), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information;
- any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court, or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary: (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation; (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights; or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger, or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice; and
- other persons if you have consented to the disclosure.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
We will normally collect personal information from you only: (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you; (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights; or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Our legitimate interests include, for instance, improving our platform, undertaking marketing, or for the purposes of detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and if appropriate we will make these clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Cookies and similar tracking technology
How does String keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information about you that we collect and process. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) credentials which enable you to access certain parts of our services (such as usernames and passwords), you are responsible for keeping these confidential.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do what we reasonably can to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you disclose online. You accept the inherent security implications of using the internet and we will not be responsible for any breach of security unless we have been be in breach of applicable laws, and then only to the limits set out in any relevant terms and conditions.
International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. Our data servers are located in Ireland where the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is directly applicable.
We may also transfer or disclose your personal information to our service providers, professional advisers, and to such other persons as we consider necessary for the administration of the services and our business. We will ensure all appropriate technical and organisational measures are in place when sharing personal data in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the unsubscribe or opt-out link in the emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing, then please contact us using the contact details provided below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- Whilst we would prefer you to come to us first with any complaints, you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
- We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if this is required by applicable data protection laws.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us using the following details:
Data Privacy Officer
String Applied Technologies Limited
184 The Bradfield Centre, Cambridge Science Park
Milton Road, Cambridge
Cambridgeshire, CB4 0GA
The data controller of your personal information is String Applied Technologies Limited.